Acupuncture is a component of Traditional Chinese Medicine or TCM. TCM holds that there is a life force called Qi running through the body along energy pathways or meridians. These meridians create a network within the body, connecting all physical structures, functions and organs. If the flow of Qi is disrupted, illness or pain may occur.
In acupuncture treatment, fine sterile needles are inserted in specific acupoints along the meridians to correct or unblock the flow of Qi. The needles are left in place for 20-30minutes. It is common for patients to fall asleep during treatment as it is very relaxing.
Tao Yin Therapy is a compilation of oriental medicine techniques used to assist in recovery from illness or injury, in treatment of chronic conditions or in maintaining optimal health and vitality. The techniques used include Amma massage, cupping, moxibustion, acupressure, Tuina, Anmo Fu organ massage, Qi Gung positional Release and Body Repatterning.
How does it work?
Oriental medicine is preventative by nature. The focus is on maintaining balance within the whole human organism, including physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of life. Good skeletal alignment and muscle tone, free flow of blood and Qi, happy heart and an inspired mind are all important aspects of health and well being. In diagnosis and treatment, the theories of Yin & Yang and Five Elements are used.
Many health complaints are a result of various stresses and demands accumulating in the body. Eventually there is no more room or ability to adapt. Something has to give. When the body is no longer able to adapt, an imbalance can result in an illness or a pain condition. In restoring harmony and good health, we strive to achieve free flow of Qi, proper alignment of the spine and skeletal system as well as balancing the Yin & Yang and Five Elements .
Almost any complaint can be addressed and to demonstrate the variety of complaints frequently treated at Shen Center, some are listed below.
– Chronic or acute pain such as sciatica, chronic back pain, tennis or golfers elbow, arthritis, headaches or migraines, painful tight muscles, sports injuries, frozen shoulder
– Complaints of the digestive tract such as IBS, constipation, allergies, bloating
– Mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, stress, PTSD
– Women’s health issues such as painful or irregular menstruation, PMS, hot flushes, infertility
– Treatment is also frequently sought for hypertension, insomnia, carpal tunnel syndrome, RSI and weight loss.